A relocated cable landing house in the Kogakura (小ヶ倉) district of Nagasaki, marking where Denmark’s Great Northern Telegraph Company (大北電信会社) brought ashore Japan’s first international submarine cables. Between 1871 and 1883 the company laid lines connecting Nagasaki to Shanghai and Vladivostok, inaugurating the country’s overseas telecommunications. Japan assumed operating rights in 1940; the brick-and-stone structure was later dismantled and moved to its present site during harbour reclamation, and was designated a Nagasaki Prefecture historic site in 1972.
Map
Links
- Nagasaki City (長崎市)
- Memories of the Town (まちの記憶)
:format(webp)/v/a-synaptic-2025-1.jpg)