This page combines a blogroll with general links of interest to readers of this blog. A “blogroll” is old school blog jargon for a list of links to other blogs, a tradition that began in the early days of blogging as a friendly way to connect with other bloggers and share traffic. Not many people bother maintaining such lists anymore but I enjoy keeping such a page for personal reference and making friendly recommendations.
Travel & Adventure
- Josh Ellis: a photography blog with deep insight into lesser-known places all around Taiwan.
- Hidden Taiwan: Tom Rook’s fantastic blog about obscure historic, abandoned, and outdoorsy stuff in Taiwan.
- Spiritual Travels: Nick Kembel’s mindful travel and photography blog is absolutely packed with useful tips and information.
- Foreigners in Taiwan: travel, history, culture, and commentary.
- Wolf Shepherd (Chinese): an excellent resource for anyone interested in the history of mining in Taiwan.
- Follow Xiaofei: waterfalls and other adventures; see also: hot springs and waterfalls map.
Politics & Society
- New Bloom Magazine: politics, activism, youth culture, and all kinds of other topics from Brian Hoie and company.
- The Writing Baron by James Baron; all kinds of subjects with witty and sharp writing, as the name would imply.
- Frozen Garlic: detailed election and political analysis from Taiwan.
- Taipei Air Station: strongly focused on the experiences of US military personnel in Taiwan during the Cold War.
Lifestyle & General Interest
- Tricky Taipei by Kathy Cheng; travel, design, food, and lifestyle blogging with a strong focus on quality content.
- Poagao’s Journal by photographer and filmmaker TC Lin, who merits his own Wikipedia page.
- Taiwan Everything: a general interest magazine-like site with articles about travel, history, culture, and more.
- Taiwan Scene: a wide-ranging group blog/magazine with articles about food, travel, culture, history, and more.
- Colonial Korea: amazingly in-depth examinations of colonial architecture in South Korea.
- Southeast Asian Theater Project: a kindred spirit documenting the disappearing cinemas of Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, and the surrounding region.
- Offbeat Japan: exploring the less exposed side of Japan’s many interesting sites, including ruins, by Jordy Meow.
- Ex Utopia: global adventures with a focus on post-Soviet spaces in Eastern Europe with good photos and great writing.
- China’s Forgotten Places and Urban Dystopias: urban exploration in the Middle Kingdom.
- Abandoned Kansai: urban exploration in Japan.